U16 Rugby Victory SAS v MCM

After a successful win against UWC East, Marlborough College’s U16 team was to face the Singapore American School.

After a lengthy warm up, the match kicked off and it soon became clear that Marlborough were in for a very physical game. The SAS forwards enjoyed playing a very direct and hard-hitting game. They constantly tested the Marlborough defence looking to smash their way through to make it to the try line. However, the Marlborough defence was valiantly resilient and refused to crack under the pressure of the SAS attack. After some great work at the break down, Dinesh Al found himself in space and shrugged off several defenders before crashing over the line. Tom McNamara added the extras and Marlborough found themselves 7-0 up. However, towards the end of the first half Marlborough became complacent and, despite outclassing their opponents in every aspect, the SAS forwards managed to sneak a try in the corner after a poor defensive display. The first half ended 7-5 to Marlborough.

After taking on board water and advice, we were keen to close out our opponents and finish the match with a win. Marlborough were consistently strong at the break down, with key performances from Adam Wright, Julian Holle and Anya Igwe. Alec Hewison had a great run after selling his opposite number a ridiculous dummy, only to be stopped just before the try line. However Marlborough were finally rewarded with a try through Julian Holle. Unfortunately, Marlborough just couldn’t hold onto the lead and, despite some great defensive work from Colm Tan, Tim Wu Murphy and Ameer Chughtai, SAS managed to score. With the score at 14-12 to Marlborough, with 10 minutes to go, it became clear that we needed to step up our game and in the final minutes Marlborough dug deep and attacked SAS with real urgency. The SAS defence finally cracked under pressure and Marlborough were awarded a penalty. The ball was passed wide to captain Tim Wu Murphy and just before he reached the line he managed to offload to Anya Igwe who reached over the line. Tom McNamara added the conversion, the clock ran down and the game finished 21-12 to Marlborough. After the exhilarating game, Julian Holle was awarded Man of the Match for his hard work all around the field.

On behalf of all the boys, I would like to thank the parents and supporters who came to watch. I would also like to thank our coach Mr Riley who put in a lot of hard work and training sessions to help us grow as individuals and as a team.

Rory Tan, MH, Hundred

You may also like